I took the Pledge @ Pategonia


There’s a reason that ‘recycling’ comes last in the mantra: Reduce, Repair, Reuse, Recycle.
Recycling is what we do when we're out of options to avoid, repair, or reuse the product first. That's why I am so impressed with Patagonia for starting its Common Threads Initiative with the real solution: Reduce. Don't buy what we don't need. Repair: Fix stuff that still has life in it. Reuse: Share. Then, only when you've exhausted those options, recycle.
– Annie Leonard, author of The Story of Stuff (taken from Patagonia website)

I felt the need to post this campaign by Patagonia. "Don't buy this Jacket" Link Here 
I'm not sure what I think. The cynic in me says "yeah right" you know you want us to. And the optimist says "Even if they want us to why not do both at least it's a better message then, over consume" 
Most of us grew up making due with what we had because consumerism wasn't as popular as it is now or at least was a few years ago. I really like Patagonia products yet often they are out of my budget so I don't buy much. I live by the mantra buy quality = buy less STUFF.

With much reluctance I joined the pledge. I don't like joining groups but what the heck............................ Here is the pledge...
Join us. Become a partner in the Common Threads Initiative
____I'd like to become a partner in the Common Threads Initiative to reduce excess consumption and give the planet's vital systems a rest from pollution, resource depletion and greenhouse gases.


____Patagonia agrees to build useful things that last, to repair what breaks and recycle what comes to the end of its useful life.

____I agree to buy only what I need (and will last), repair what breaks, reuse (share) what I no longer need and recycle everything else.
What do you think about this? 

Comments

Moira said…
I saw that ad at the top of the New York Times a few days ago. The cynic in me wouldn't even click on it. So thank you for sharing it. I think it's an interesting "reframing" of trying to market goods. And it makes me think about the products that do last and how much I appreciate them (as opposed to the K-Mart sweaters that don't last a single washing). I like the idea. I also like the LL Bean ads I've been seeing on tv featuring well made products made in Maine.
Unknown said…
Moira,
I have to give a disclaimer, I was in Reno at my friends house and she works for Patagonia in the offices. I was struck by her belief in the companies genuineness and their efforts to have a real concern for the environment.

Don't we want our corporations to try to care, to have to care because the public wants companies that care?

Popular posts from this blog

First Camptrip Review

Nature Based Art Projects For Kids

Camping AT D.L. Bliss