Apr 25, 2012
Bears Quick Tips
● Keep a close watch on children and teach them what to do if they encounter a bear.
● While hiking, make noise to avoid a surprise encounter with a bear.
● Never keep food, gum, wet wipes etc... in your tent.
● Store food and toiletries in bear-proof containers or in an airtight container in the trunk of your vehicle. ONLY IF there is no bear box. Bears WILL break into cars.
● Keep a clean camp by cleaning up and storing food and garbage immediately after meals.
● Use bear-proof garbage cans whenever possible or store your garbage in a secure location with your food.
● Don't bury or burn excess food; bears will still be attracted to the residual smell.
● Garbage should be packed out of camp if no trash receptacles are available.
● Never approach a bear or pick up a, never go near a cub EVER.
● Do not attempt to attract a bear to your location; observe the animal and take pictures from afar.
● If you encounter a bear, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to appear as large as possible.
● If attacked, fight back.
● If a bear harms a person in any way, immediately call 911.